It’s a new year but, with most of Scotland in a strict lockdown, we’re not sure it’s quite a happy one yet. But there are still rainbows to come after the rain! As we suspected might end up being the case, we can’t yet give a date for Rainbow Turtle reopening, but as soon as we know, you’ll know. Keep an eye on our social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) or sign up for our monthtly newsletter to stay in the loop!
2020 has been a difficult year, and we have only got through it thanks to the huge amount of support and encouragement from you: our supporters, customers, friends, and volunteers. Thank you!
The new year will kick off with a little uncertainty, with Rainbow Turtle now closed and most of Scotland in a level 4 lockdown, but we’re confident that we can get 2021 off to a great start, even if that does have to be a little bit later than normal!
We hope that you all have a wonderful, if unusual, Christmas and that your new year is a good one. Merry Christmas from all at Rainbow Turtle!
Following the Scottish Government’s announcement yesterday that Renfrewshire can exit level 4 restrictions, we will be reopening Rainbow Turtle at 10am on Saturday 12th December!
To allow our lovely customers as much Christmas shopping time as possible, we have extended our opening hours from the 12th until we close on Christmas Eve.
We look forward to seeing you back in the shop!
Black Friday, a day known for excessive consumerism and waste, approaches and while we can’t suggest shopping ethically with us instead right now – as we’re sadly closed under Level 4 Coronavirus restrictions – we’ll be supporting Traidcraft’s annual Reject Black Friday campaign.
We believe in doing our best to live in ways that support the environment and people, rejecting mass-consumerism that often relies on taking advantage of workers and contributing to environmental disaster.
Think about where you shop this Christmas, and consider whether you can wait a few weeks to get something ethically sound, rather than opting for mindless speed and volume.
As today is the final shopping day with us before our 3 week lockdown hiatus, we’ll be staying open until 6pm!
We have stock remaining of The Real Advent Calendar and Divine’s dark chocolate calendar which is vegan society certified – get them while you still can!
Following the Scottish Government’s announcement that Renfrewshire will be moving into level 4, the Rainbow Turtle shop will be closing for 3 weeks at 4pm on Friday.
So you’ve got three days to get shopping! We recommend stocking up on all of your household essentials, like refills and toilet roll, as well as treating family and friends to some of our Christmas goodies!
We’ll be open from 10am until 4pm today, tomorrow, and Friday.
Following the announcement today from the Scottish Government that Renfrewshire will be moving into level 4 restrictions, Rainbow Turtle will be closed from 4pm on Friday 20th November until 10am on Saturday 12th December.
At this time, we won’t be able to offer any click & collect or delivery services. We’ll still be open on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week, from 10am until 4pm, and we hope you might take this chance to buy Christmas essentials (advent calendars, cards, gifts!) early.
We’ll see you in December!
We’ve just taken an enormous delivery of Divine Chocolate to the shop, including some new and unusual flavours!
We’ve also now got advent calendars and other chocolate treats and gifts in stock. A full list can be found here, and remember that you can reserve items for collection or arrange local delivery on our online ordering page here.
If you’re out and about in Paisley this weekend with kids (or maybe you’re just a kid at heart!) then the Paisley Pumpkin Halloween Trail is a fun, socially distanced activity to keep the whole family entertained. At Rainbow Turtle we’ve got this cheeky chappy to tick off your list, and if you pop into the shop we’ve also got maps of the trail and plenty of Fair Trade sweets on sale to keep your energy levels up!
With the colder weather starting, it feels like time to make warming and tasty meals – like this Malaysian Curry with Kilombero Rice recipe, developed by our friends at JTS. Several of the ingredients can be purchased from the Rainbow Turtle shop!
- 3 Shallots (can replace with 1 onion)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 teaspoons of Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of Eswatini Swazi Fire (available at Rainbow Turtle)
- 1 teaspoon of Lemongrass paste
- 1 teaspoon of chopped Ginger
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 400g Chicken Breast
- 200ml of Chicken Stock
- 1 tin (400g) Ma’s Fairtrade & Organic Coconut Milk (available at Rainbow Turtle)
- 300g Kilombero Rice (available at Rainbow Turtle)
- Blend the shallots, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass and ginger into a paste. Add the Swazi Fire to the strength that you desire. Note – a full teaspoon will be quite hot!
- Pre-heat a large frying pan or wok and add some oil. Cut the chicken into cubes of approximately 1 inch and add to the wok. Fry the chicken to seal in the flavour until it has a golden brown colour. Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add in your paste and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Open your tin of Fairtrade coconut milk and add to the paste. (Note – coconut milk can separate in colder temperatures so you may have to scoop the solid part out of the tin into the pan. This will not affect the flavour and will soon melt into the mix).
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with Kilombero rice for a really tasty Malaysian curry.
If you enjoyed this lovely curry, see here for more JTS recipes!