Rainbows are symbols of hope and promise, and also of inclusion and diversity. When turtles are ‘bellyup’ they are at their most vulnerable to attack and it seems that the poorest people in the world will be forever vulnerable unless we turn trade values the right way up!
How Rainbow Turtle started:
Rainbow Turtle was set up in Paisley in 2002 by a group concerned with the promotion and development of Fair Trade. The objective was to raise public awareness of Fair Trade and encourage more people to buy fairly traded products. Since then Rainbow Turtle has been the ‘face of Fair Trade’ in Renfrewshire and have worked with the local community towards the successful bid to gain:
- Fairtrade status for Paisley in 2003
- Fairtrade Zone status for Renfrewshire in 2009
Following the success of Bishopton in 2007, Lochwinnoch in 2008, Renfrew in 2012 and Kilbarchan in 2013 all achieving Fairtrade status, we are currently supporting other towns and villages along the way.
For many years now we have worked with schools, faith groups and other organisations providing talks and workshops to help educate the local community. We are committed to using education as a means of raising awareness of fair trade and the issues surrounding it. Knowledge is power as they say and we believe the more informed we are about the world around us, the more positive an impact we can have.
What we do:
Rainbow Turtle comprises two distinct but related areas of activity:
Rainbow Turtle – trading company
The trading company supports Fair Trade sales in its shop in Paisley. The shop stocks a diverse range of goods including foodstuffs, clothing, jewellery, crafts, cards, stationery, toys, gifts and leisure items.
Click here to visit our shop page.
Our shop relies on the support of its volunteers. There are several ways in which you can become involved as a volunteer; see our ‘Get Involved’ section for more information.
Rainbow Turtle Just Trading Ltd is also involved in a number of other related activities:
- supplying stalls of Fair Trade products on a sale or return basis to organisations, and hosting Fair Trade stalls at events. Click here for further information on our sale or return stall service.
- supplying schools in Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, Glasgow and Inverclyde with fairly traded foodstuffs for tuck shops, staff rooms, coffee mornings and other special events. Click here for further information on the services we offer schools.
- supplying offices and other places of work with Fair Trade beverages and snacks for staff. Click here to visit our business page.
Rainbow Turtle – Charity
Rainbow Turtle is a recognised Scottish Charity (Scottish Charity number SC034097) committed to working in partnership with developing world producers. The charity works in several ways to enhance the profile of Fair Trade, these include:
- organising special events and fundraising throughout the year
- helping schools and organisations to take part in the annual Fairtrade Fortnight
- working with various groups to lobby both local and national politicians with a view to achieving change in the system of world trade
- directly supporting some producers in developing countries by giving financial assistance towards the purchase of raw materials and equipment, and by providing markets for the goods they produce through the shop in Paisley, stalls and online sales
- providing support and advice to schools – who are working towards their Fairtrade Awards – through our Education Officer
- giving talks and workshops to schools, faith groups and other organisations
Read about our producer partners here.